6.6.07

What is this "Starcraft" you are speaking of?




So I saw the game play demo for Starcraft II today at work, and I must say it looks pretty sweet. Unfortunately, that's about where my knowledge of Starcraft ends. I have never played Starcraft. Ever. I know that some would say that was a sacriledge, but there you have it. I don't know why I didn't play. I would like to think that it was due to the fact that I've never had a computer that could handle the good games, except for at work. But I think that's a rather bad excuse. So as I was sitting through the co-worker torturing for having not played Starcraft, and looking at what was, I will admit, a rather impressive demo, I decided that I will play this "Starcraft 2". I will join the RTS world, and I'm completely prepared to get sucked in, spend hours every night trying to hone my skills, ruining my family life, wearing the same clothes for 3 days straight, and speaking the lingo. "All your base are belong to us!" and whatnot.

But wait. There is just one problem. I don't like RTS games. Okay maybe that's a little harsh, but it's true. It all stems back to "Age of Empires". I was first introduced to AofE by Westley and Joe Bob. I think the only reason they wanted me to play is so that they could have some easy kills on their way to bigger and better things. Pretty much how I am at playing Halo. But at least in Halo you can snipe a guy in the back of the head. Anyway, you know how it is. They sit you down at a computer and tell you all you have to do is cut down the forest with the little villagers. So you spend 30 minutes gathering wood, having a grand ol' time, and then a horde of Pikemen come screaming through and the next thing you know, they've ransacked the village and taken all the hot chicks captive. Which would lead to this exchange:

Me: "Hey, uh, how do I stop the invading hordes?"
Westley: "Oh, sorry, forgot to tell you that you need to build a barracks."
Me: "Oh, and the barracks will stop the hordes?"
Westley: "No, you'll need to use the barracks to make soldiers."
Me: "That would have been helpful to know 30 minutes ago."
Westley: "Sorry about that, I didn't expect you to be attacked so soon. You must be near the computer's village."
Me: "Oh, well I'll have to stop the compu... hey, how come the hordes were Red? I thought you were Red?"
Westley: "Oh, that was you? Uh... yeah... Hey Joe Bob, you want to establish a trade route?

So needless to say my interest was not held very long. So concerning this "Starcraft". Will I play it? Probably, it looks pretty cool. Will I play for hours on end? Nope.

But I reserve the right to change that to a Yes at any time.

1 comment:

Shadowwire said...

Let me set the record straight. First of all, I dont recal you ever playing AOE with Jo Bob or I. Second off, I only play AOE when nobody will play Counter strike with me. (Mu hahaha) thirdly, Is thirdly a word?
I think the exchange would go more like this.
Ben: "hey uh, How do I install this game?"
Me: "Oh, you dont want to install that game."
Ben: "Why? everybodys playing it."
Me: "exactly. If you install it you will play it for a few hours, think your good at it and challenge Jo Bob or some other Technophile to a dual and then cry to me when you get destroyed. Besides Counter Strike is better."
Ben: "You just want me to play Counter Strike so you can have more cannon fodder to wade through."
Me: " Uh, ... So how about those Jazz?"
As far as Starcraft is concerned, I dont beleive that Ill be playing it much. I realy suck at the first one and im sure the second one wont be much different. Also Ill be buisy playing Counter Strike.