12.11.07

CHECK OUT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!!!!!! LOLZORGZPWND!!!!!

Okay. First of all, I don't have a deviant art page, nor will I ever.

Second of all, if there are those of you in the MOAG universe that DO have a deviant art page, my condolences. I kid I kid...
No really, I'm sorry.

Again I KID!!

The purpose of this post is to tell the MOAG universe that... unfortunately... I STILL don't have any new artwork to post. But before you start the riots and the pillaging, let me just inform you that I DO have free time again, so some time this week I'm going to start putting up some various MOAG illustrations of various things, variously. Most of them will not be finished pieces, but 30 Min - 60 Min quick drawings, or color paintings if I remember to bring the Wacom home from work. Anyway, I have a few ideas, but am open to suggestions. We have had multiple "novella" type entries as of late, some of which have inspired me. So if you have any suggestions, let me know.

One little caveat to all that, I might follow the suggestions I might not. It'll be like winning the lottery, only with no winning. Or money. Or buying tickets.

Also, on a completely different topic, as I have read through all of the wonderous blog entries as of late, I have noticed a few things about the MOAG universe that I would like to bring to a discussion.

Firstly, everybody seems to have the same Name structure for all of their characters. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it strikes me a little wierd in that throughout the various races and the known MOAG galaxy, everybody uses the standard First and Last name structure. If we take a look at the various cultures here, we see that Humans alone do not follow the same naming conventions among the various cultures. For example, Jewish custom was to give a first name followed by some designation as to the father, for example, Judah Ben Hur. Literally meaning Judah, Son of Hur. Some asian cultures list the family name first and the given name last. Some african cultures bear reference to the tribal matriarch (mother). I'm not saying we need to do this, I just think that it would give some more variance to the MOAG universe if we spiced it up a bit. We could take it a little further and have Wes determine what type of language each species use. For example, the Macaneons can use a lot of sounds made by the tongue (S,T,K,C,D to name a few) and shigh away from sounds made by the lips (M, N, F, for example) because they are lizards and don't have the facial dexterity that a human does. Anyway, I'm probably off my rocker here, but let's discuss it anyway.

I was going to add some more things, but seeing as I don't play now (Hopefully we can play for a while Thanksgiving weekend, I'll be down there - Bot make it so!) I have decided to rant any more. Let me just say this, if you've never played anything other than a Klisk, Macaneon, Gargonan, or Conar, you're missing out on a lot of fun. I have a Nareskan with whom I've had as much fun as anyone else I've played. And speaking of him, his name is Sabu Nortrax. Sabu being his last name, and Nortrax his given name, so there's an example of what I was talking about.

Anyway, if you're going to leave a pretty hefty comment, please post it in a new post.

And again, to those of you with a Deviantart page, burn it. NO I KID!!!!

(Really, Burn it).

7 comments:

Salvaggio said...

Okay, Okay, I see the spelling errors. Sorry. It's late and my eyes burn from just thinking of Deviantart.

AGAIN I KID!!!!!!!

(No really, burn it before it eats into your hard drive...)

Bot said...

Amazing post Salvaggio. . . and a good second Topic of Discussion!!! I will work on that later.

Shadowwire said...

I think Names have done quite well lately. The thing is, people who play the game are primarily Human, therefore we tend to do things like a human. Also, Players tend to choose the name for their charactors. Dispite my trying to convince one player to name his Conara something other than "Steve", That is the name that was chosen. Now, Salvagio, you may be refering to names chosen by the GM. If that is the case, than you probably have a valid point. Naming standards have been used from time to time. Mo-Ti-Qee names follow a standard. Qee-ral Natu is a Mo-Ti-Qee Name and follows the standard perfectly. Qee is like saying Mr. Ral is the family name and Natu is the given name. Other species are similar. Macaneons, for example, use a given name and the names of their ancestors. Joac Oca Bosac etc etc etc... However he simly goes by Joac, because saying his whole name would be cumbersome. (Bot could tll us his full name, Maybe.)
Good Subject Salvagio, and I think I will write down the nameing standards for each species.
Oh, and what the crap is deviant art?

Bot said...

Joac's true name is lost in the archives of worn out character sheets. However I can tell you that his "last" name is roughly 26 characters long. . . . Yeah. I think that this post is a subject for linguist to discuss in off time and since none of us are J.R.R.R.R.R.R. Tolkien in nature, I think that we have been doing well with what we have. . . that's creativity.

Salvaggio said...

I agree with you that when naming a character, you probably have a preconcieved notion of what you're going to go with. But I think we'd all be surprised at how much more liberating it would be to know how a species used names to convey position and meaning and then use that information to make a name for our characters.

But maybe the best bet is for you to write it down as you suggested, and then the Player is given the information and he/she can decide to use it or not. But I think we'd all be surprised to see how often it would be used.

Oh, and deviant art is an online art forum for anyone. Because it's open to anyone to post art, which is a good thing, anyone can post art, which isn't necessarily a good thing. You get good art and bad art in vast amounts. And in my limited experience, I've mostly seen bad art. Now that may be that I just happened to look in a bad section, but there you have it. I prefer to go to such sites as www.conceptart.org where professional concept artists for film, videogames, illustration, graphic design and whatnot post their work. Excellent stuff.

Anonymous said...

The black background/white text arrangement of this blog hurts my eyes when I try to read these lengthy posts.... Can we change to a standard white bg / black text format? Nevermind.

What species does this name fit?
Johnson Roofus Himes Porter Decker-Decker

Anonymous said...

Now that I've changed the page background and text to something useful, I can read for hours without the burning eyes syndrome....

Where was I ...

Ah yes, names. And to which species does the name "Dark Paperclip" belong? Er... I mean, "Dark Eclipse" that is...

Perhaps from another time and universe.....