13.11.07

Topic of Discussion 2: What's in a name?

Thanks to the observation of the Great Salvaggio and the wonderful comment by Shadowire, I think that our next ToD will be on the slightly overlooked topic of Names in the M.O.A.G. Universe. It's true that many of us might look at a name and see it how we look at every day names. What you are called, then who you belong to. Are we really bound so much by this rule that we pick our character names by the same observations? Maybe so . . . for the most part.

I do have many characters that have the family name last (Quar Setca, Gorlen Dal, Crolen Dal, Milin Kwal, Amadeus Edwards) but then I also have my two Klisks that I like to play the most. Bara' and Koolah . . . that is their full names. The reason for this? Well, to me it's rather simple. More like a Native American thing. Bara' and Koolah come from some of the older tribes on Montar. They are still bound by the ways of their ancestors. I feel, and correct me if I am wrong Shadowire, that names were given to young Klisks as they entered adulthood. I'm not saying that they didn't have names before that, but they took on another name and left the other name behind. Bara' has always meant to me "Rock of the Hill" and Koolah is "Soft Wind." Those were the names given to them by the Elders of their tribes and that is all they got. Now, some other Klisks might have gotten two or more names, but alas, Bara' and Koolah did not.

Anyway, that is what I think. We will now leave it to Shadowire to give us his view on the subject. I still want to hear everyones opinions though. Give us some of your characters names, how you picked it, and what it means to you.

1 comment:

Bot said...

Remember!!! We want these in new post form instead of comments. They are easier to sort through that way.