13.2.08

Welcome back to the Pit of Despair. . . RUN AWAY!!!

All this debate over things in M.O.A.G. has got me thinking....... and that's not a good thing. Anyway, why did we start M.O.A.G. to begin with? I mean, even in the grand picture that is Moaging I am a newbie veteran (or as I like to call myself, a "neweran.") I came from California my Sophomore year to the thriving Metropolis of Panguitch! Before I moved to Utah I played D&D in secret with my friends because my parents hated the idea of RPG's. Anyway, I liked the game, but only because my friends played it. I never was much for the "breakfast cereal charts" and what nots. Too much control over the vast freedom, to truly be free. Anyway, I stray. The point I'm trying to make is that I came to Pangtown, met up with Savage, West, Joab and a few others and played D&D with them a bit, but it still wasn't for me. West then introduced me to a "new game" he had been working on. Without going into details, many sleepless weekends driven by Surge and Mountain Dew were had!!! The game was awesome. It was Sci-fi!!! Not just Fantasy. Again, I stray. The real point I'm trying to make is not everyone out there likes the Fantasy aspect of D&D. They are Sci-fi geeks like me. There is a whole new market out there that hasn't been tapped to its full potential and I think M.O.A.G. can do that.

Take into account another point of view:

"I guess we should start with MOAG. MOAG stands for Mother Of All Games. Or Master Of All Galaxies. Or Midgets Operating Albanian Gondolas... or, well you get the drift. Anyway, MOAG was the brainchild of one Westly Harris. Having played copious amounts of MechWarrior and Dungeons and Dragons, we all came to the conclusion that these games were missing something. Or better yet, they had too much. Tired of referring to the various breakfast cereal charts and running tables, we simply wanted a base standard of game play in which the GM could expand and dictate at thier discretion. Now don't get me wrong. MechWarrior and Dungeons and Dragons are both excellent games, and we had no intention of coming up with something "Better", just different. Anyway to make a long story short, West came up with MOAG. A space exploration RPG set in the future, borrowing heavily from various subjects as The Predator to Star Wars to The Good The Bad and The Ugly. And possibly West Side Story. And The Abyss. Okay basically any work of science fiction."

We were looking for something better!!! This was taken directly from the first post of the M.O.A.G. Blog, by one Salvaggio. I hope you see in it what I see. Now onto the real point of my still straying post.

1) The humans are good. I think there might be something missing from them, but they are never going to be able to stand up to a Klisk mono e mono, but they can also knock a Ucasi flat on there butts with a swift slap to the back of their head. I do see that some of the species have certain things that make them what they are. Klisks are immune to poisons (and huge), Conar have some serious hops, Gargonan can endure a whole crap load of physical punishment, Ucasi are wicked smart, Macaneons have four arms..... etc. etc. etc. Maybe the humans need something like resistant to vapor poisons. I concede this, but I do not concede that the game needs balance. The universe is not balanced and if a person wants to play a character that isn't big and tough, they need to play to that characters strengths.

2) I agree with Salvaggio. West is the father of creation in the MOAG universe. What he says goes. If it's something that we don't like, DON'T WHINE!!!! Respect his authoritah.... I mean, authority. He knows whats best because it's mostly in his head.

3) Getting offended by whatever is said on this Blog is utter nonsense. Take everything with a grain of salt, a cup of sugar and a bottle of Zantac. If I have offended anyone, I want to make sure that you know that I probably meant it! But if you try to get back at me, pretty much everything rolls off of me like water off a ducks back. You should try it, it's easy and it's better than holding a grudge for something that really shouldn't hold much thought in your mind.

4) I like cake..... a lot!

I don't know if this is worth posting, but I'm going to hit the button anyway and you all will read it and I'll get comments on it and everything will go on as it has before me. End scene!

Next week I will start on something to do with the actual game.

14 comments:

omally said...

HEY number 4 is my line!
but aside from that its a cool post. even though you just copied and pasted it.....thief

Pablo Diablo said...

May I just say... cool. Good half stolen post Bot.

Salvaggio said...

THIEF!! THOSE COMMENTS WERE TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT! I NEVER MEANT TO SAY WHAT YOU COPIED FROM THAT FIRST POST! I DEMAND THA... (hushed whispering between Salvaggio and his fleet of Imperial Lawyers...) Ahem. what I really wanted to say was that I'm greatly impressed by Mr. Bot's flattery. I thank all of my fans... (more hushed whisperings...) What? He's not flattering me? He's just stealing my stuff? THIEF!! I DEMAND SATISFACTION!

Pablo Diablo said...

Hey Salvaggio... I'm gonna need that fleet of Imperial Lawyers back.
Cause, you know, they cost quite a bit.

Shadowwire said...

Im Offended.

Bot said...

You would be!

Kang said...

It is every GM's right to do away with the cumbersome portions of any game to make his particular story/universe/world run smoothly and for it to be enjoyable. But those people who need direction should be able to have it -thus, and unfortunately perhaps, the charts are necessary. However, just because they are there, doesn't mean everyone has to use them for every minuscule aspect of game-play. For those who are unfamiliar with the way our system works, there has to be some form of guideline layout to teach them and references for them to use. Without references and basic rules, it would be impossible for someone who has never played with us to learn the system.

The idea of adjusting humans was never dependent solely upon combat, or with the idea that it would even the combat gap. It was simply meant to give them the comparative appeal that they lack when compared with other player-races. The appeal does not necessarily have to be combat oriented.

I agree with your idea that people should play to their character's strengths. Ideally that is how it would work. More people than less, however, are not good enough players to start out knowing how to do that.

I don't believe anyone on this blog can be accused of whining; as for casting veiled insults or insinuating slights? Come on, we're not children –well some of us may be... but I'm not talking mentally.

Debate is all about posing arguments and defending positions. If one cannot do that without becoming offended, they should refrain from joining the debate, right? The same is true for those who cannot debate while resisting the urge to deliberately cause offense. Debate is all about progressive communication. An ideal debate would end with finding favorable compromises.

At any rate, all this heated-debate has fortunately produced something other than high blood-pressure and balding heads. It has produced a possible solution to the problem. I have discussed it with shadowire and he seems to have taken to the idea. Best of all, it involves minimal change across the board.

I'll post it when my boss isn't looking over my shoulder, however, as he is right now. :)



Oh, and shadowire, I know -You are offended. Thus my devious plan is complete! :DDD

Pablo Diablo said...

Sweet post Kang.
I can't wait to see this new thing that you can't post because of your boss.

Bot said...

I'm offended that your boss was looking over your shoulder....

Kang said...

Me too... lol

Shadowwire said...

Im Double Offended bacause nobody tried to deliberately offend me on either of those last two comments!
And Kang, Post away. Im sure everyone is eager to know what the ultimate solution is.

Bot said...

I already know and I am satisfied by it.

Pablo Diablo said...

O RLY? Do you know? Or Do you think you know?

Hmmm? Hmmmmmm?

Bot said...

I'm offended by the over use of the letter m in your last comment Pablo! Try using another letter or two, like u and h. That way you ger huh instead of hmm.