29.1.08

Who said "You cant get there from here"?

I'll bet you thought that I wasnt going to post today! Well you were wrong.
Anyway here is the galactic map of the known Galaxies (couretsy of Daniel Jeffery). Also included, The Galactic Coordinate System.
Galactic coordinates are measured by A: galaxy B: Inclination from galactic center +- ; how far into which hemisphere. C: Degrees from universal North (which is different depending on who your nav computer was built by; Conar, Gargonan, IGSS etc.) universal north on our map is the KMF standard. And finaly distance. Here’s and example. “Acolad Mining station B” 9+1.35:182.454:12491.6The numbers mean (9”galaxy 9” +1.35 “how many degrees positive from galactic center” 182.454 “how many degrees from galactic north” and 12491.6 “how many Parsecs from galactic center”. Galactic center is measured by center of rotation “Koge in this case”. Acolad sector is near earth in Conar space, however I gave you KMF Coordinates. Conar use EDA as Galactic north and only IGSS uses Universal North on their star charts. Gargonan use the same Galactic north as IGSS in most instances, all but galaxy 1 and the IGSS uncharted galaxies. Conversions are a simple mater for the most part. Just enter a starchart into a nav computer and select which coordinate system you prefer. (Actually its not quite that simple and requires someone with a good Astrogation skill.)
Current data indicates that the true position of the Milky Way galactic pole is lg=0.°004±0.°039; bg=89.°427±0.°035, and that the Sun is located approximately 34.56±0.56 pc (112.7±1.8 ly) above the galactic plane [1]. Since the Sun is about 30,000 ly from the galactic center, it is relatively speaking extremely close to the galactic plane.Conar Coordinates: (Earth)H1E 16:+0.189096:332.4105:9091.336
Any questions?

8 comments:

Salvaggio said...

Okay, here's your "if a tree falls in the forest..." question:

If my character has an astrogation skill of 10, but I as a person have no idea what the @#%$@#!! you meant by any of those random numbers... does that mean my Player character knows more than me? And if so, is he required to share said knowledge? Do I have to roll from the "Glean Knowledge from your character" table? And if I do roll, and I roll snake eyes, does that mean I forget something?

My head hurts...

Bot said...

I think you already rolled a 2 Salvaggio. Now, take the stick out of your eye and get back to work!

Bot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bot said...

I would also like to point out that I started reading this post at 10:10 am and by 10:10 and 30 seconds... my brain exploded.

Pablo Diablo said...

Actually it makes sense and I want to see it implemented into the gameplay of Moag. Good Work Shadowwire.

So where is 0:0:0?

Shadowwire said...

H1E 0:0:0 would be, H1E(Conar designation for the Milkyway) 0(no inclination from galactic center) 0 (no degrees form galactic north) and 0, no distance from galctic center. So basicly the galactic center, or close to Koge.
Any more questions?

Kang said...

I just barely read your post, very interesting. You are the nut, located in the cookie at coordinates.
(Cookie)CC1N 11:+2.005632:215.0503:8142.221

Please adjust the measurement system to reflect the size of the cookie. It is pretty small but I think the formula still applies. The Chocolate Chip in the middle would be the equivelant of the Galactic Center.

Now with that in mind, could you please point to your nut.., because I can't seem to find it. >.<

Shadowwire said...

Touche'