8.9.08

No art, but plenty of Movies...

Okay, I apologize, didn't get much art done over the weekend, so there isn't any Monday MOAG art today, but I did get a lot of HTML/CSS work done on some websites, so that counts for something. Maybe.

I did have a good long weekend of Movie watching (along with the BYU-Washington game, horrible call, good result). Turns out the wife was gone for the weekend, so I had the kids and borrowed some animated movies from a co-worker, and that was that. Here's the list of movies, and what I thought about them.



As you can plainly see from the image, the first is another epic from Miyazaki, Nausicaa: Of the Valley of the Wind. I hadn't seen this one, but had heard it was really good. I'd have to agree. While it's not my favorite Miyazaki film, it was, as expected, very good. The kids really liked it, which surprised me, seeing as it's a little more complex and/or darker than My neighbor Totoro. But all in all, it's worth it to see it, if not just it being one of the all time epics in animated movies.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5.1 Don't ask what the .1 is for, I don't know and frankly, it's none of your business.



The second is Triplets of Bellville. Bot and I watched this when it first came out a few years ago, and I have to say it's one of my favorites. This one I will recommend, but I honestly think you need to be an art snob to get it. There is hardly any dialogue in the movie (my kids kept asking why they don't talk), so it's just watching for art's sake.

Rating: 3 Bags of chips and an extra cheese dip. Again, no meaning whatsoever.



The last movie of the weekend was Brad Bird's "Iron Giant". If you're not familiar with this one, you should be shot. It was a spectacular piece done by the director of The Incredibles, and I think it's just as good. I believe Shadowwire and I saw this one, but I wanted my kids to see it. Just a sweet movie.

Rating: Ah, geeze, just go rent it okay? It's good, I promise.

So, there you have it. Anyway, let's keep the posting up. We're on track to have a record month, so bring all the finest meats and cheeses and let's do this...

Okay, it's late. That last line made no sense, and I'm starting to type double...

9 comments:

Shadowwire said...

I concur, This movie rocks! and if you havnt seen it, do so quickly.

Bot said...

I'm not an art snob and I thought The Triplets of Bellville was awesome.... I am strange though, so that might explain it... and some of my good friends are artists in one form or another.

squirrel-the-tire said...

well, I've never heard of The Triplets of Bellville, but seeing as I'm appreciative of art, I think I might watch it if I have a chance.

Salvaggio said...

I guess I really shouldn't say you have to be an Art Snob to enjoy The Triplets of Bellville. I should say that it is definitely not part of the "Disney" cannon of animation. Which in my estimation, is why it is so good. You should check it out Squirrel. Although if you don't live near a rental place that carries Steamboy, I doubt you'll be able to find this one, but don't give up hope!

Bot said...

If you have Netflix you can stream Steamboy at no extra cost to you. Although, I watched half of it and I didn't get into it. I don't think I was in the right frame of mind though.

squirrel-the-tire said...

I don't think my internet connection will be fast enough.

Salvaggio said...

Too bad Bot... the second half is the best part of the movie. That's when all the steampunk fighting happens.

Shadowwire said...

Fighting? I'll have to check that one out.

Juanito said...

Nice! cool movies I especially like the triplets of belleville... it was kinda funny because I saw this thinking it was really about cycling (which I love as well) but got crazy musical Grannys blowing up things... Awesome selection!