21.1.09

My foray into the species contest...

Okay, here's my species.  I don't have a name for it.  I appear to have ran into some sort of writer's block on that.  I had Gargglelglglge, but it just didn't roll off the tongue like one would hope.

Anyway, it's a fish-like species that comes from a hydrogen rich water planet.  They have nostrils that allow them to breath on land, but it is very uncomfortable for them.  They usually have specialized suits that insert into the gills and circulates the hydrogen rich water from their home planet.  Their spaceships are actually totally filled with the substance, which requires visitors to keep on their environmentally sealed space suits when visiting, although there are tales of the security cells being oxygenated.

As for color, they vary depending on where they come from.  Those from the equatorial section of the planet are very colorful, while those from the poles are a very deep bluish gray, with all the ranges of color inbetween, equal to the distance from the equator, i.e., the farther you are from the equator, the less vibrant color variations one will find.

They are very smart, and fast, and when in water are very strong, but their strength and speed are reduced significantly when on land.  They can, however, increase their strength and speed on dry ground by spending more time on the surface.  There are rumors of a species from the South Pole that lives almost entirely above the ice caps.  This species is extremely fast and does not lose any strength when out of the water.  Also, tests have shown that the adaptation to land doesn't take long at all before a change can be seen in the strength and speed of the individual.

They live in a very open social structure, with a matriarchal and patriarchal figure that together watch over their "school" of young.  These are not  necessarily the birth parents, but simply a group who enjoy being together.  The individuals are not pressured to stay in any school, and can and often do move about to various schools throughout their lifetimes.  This open social structure allows the society to be very free, but also instills in all the community a very family-like bond.  All will come to the aid of one, and vice versa.  

Anyway, as for a name, you guys give me a good suggestion, maybe I'll snap out of the writer's block and come up with something... like... Flargfelnoven.

Nope.


14 comments:

Salvaggio said...

Jeez... the more I look at that the more I want to redo the coloring. It was a quick Photoshop, which with I am not impressed. I'll see if I can get a new version done by the weekend.

Maybe.

Juanito said...

Ha ha well I think the coloring looks really good already! Awesome picture! But sorry I don't got a name for you :(

Shadowwire said...

You kidding Salvaggio? I realy like the coloring. Its quite fishlike.
Great entery into an entertaining contest!
Ok everyone, keep em' comin!

Bot said...

The name shall be...... Shalivian. Maybe, maybe not....

Shadowwire said...

Wheres your entery into this contest, Bot?
Come on, chop, chop!

Salvaggio said...

Yes, Bot, where is your entry? I can hear your Spore Creature Creator warming up even as we speak...

Xzebo said...

How about.. fish-men!!! okay lame... hmmm maybe Naga! nope copyright already... lol okay for real Peix or something like that would be cool, anywho i really like it!

Bot said...

Give me sometime. I'm working on my C++ and as soon as I get loops down, I am so kick all y'alls (???) trash!

Shadowwire said...

What?

Phantom Gravedigger said...

I hope this one gets in, it seemed that all M.O.A.G. was missing was some aquatic terrain creatures.

Btw, I really enjoy the coloring on this- from the speckled effect to the scales. Simply beautiful.

And, no matter what it's name shall be, I shall forever more know it as Garlatorl. Or something of the sort.

-P.

squirrel-the-tire said...

oh bot.... we need to discuss this learning of C++... It seems I'm a little ahead of you... pointers, and classes are quite interesting...

squirrel-the-tire said...

as far as fish-like creatures go, we should have some awesome bio-luminescence....

Bot said...

Yeah Squirrel. We will have to discuss C++. I am loving the class (hate reading the textbook though.) I got bored last night and through together a program that figured out the Fibinachi (is that how you spell it?) out until the double variable couldn't handle it anymore (+inf?). te he. I like pushing the limits of the language. :)

squirrel-the-tire said...

hmm...I have no book... just what the teacher says to do, and cprogramming.com
pretty much...
so how shall we discuss this awesome C++ learningness?